Saturday, 17 January 2009
Like a Stone
Not a bad trade imo.
- Stone is a quality tweener and Springfield gets better immediately;
- Sabourin is a quality tweener and Springfield gets better immediately;
- a 4th, even three years from now, is still a 4th and that is good;
- roster spot opens up on the big team (finally);
- the return was excellent given the value on par-goalies now-a-days;
- should free up a few 100k in Cap space (always good); and
- Garon and JDD were getting jerked around and that should, now, stop
- Garon and JDD should never have been getting jerked around in the first place so it isn't like we can confidently say team management gets 'it'
- more tweeners... yay
- Letang was the guy to go after in Pittsburgh and we didn't get him (this should have been a bigger trade)
Overall I am happy with it.
The next three players that should be gone: Nilsson, Moreau and Staios.
The next three players that will probably go (of four): Nilsson, Pouliot, Smid and Grebeshkov.
This will be the last year (barring a renaissance next year) that Moreau and Staios will probably have any trade premium placed on their 'veteran' and 'battlers on the ice' reputation so we can expect that we will keep them around well past the due date. As I said, it isn't like we can confidently say the team gets 'it'.
Finally though. A trade.
Question: Lowe or Tambellini?
I say Tambellini because of the Sabourin factor.
Have a great evening everyone.