Thursday 19 April 2007

National Hockey Bush League



And the NHL wonders why it has a credibility problem in regards to violence? When I first heard about the May sucker punch on Johnsson I had to admit I thought the worst.

Really... is there any better way to take out the opposing teams best defenseman, who has a history of concussions, than with a sucker punch to the head?

When such an act is performed by a player who is relatively meaningless to the success of a team like May - even better.

Now, granted, his defense of his actions rings true of anyone who is paid for their ability to hit people with his fists more than his ability to actually play the game of hockey - to whit - a scrum started and he went flying in and he hit the first guy he saw.

Didn't identify the player first.

Didn't angle the player away from the scrum.

Didn't try to grab him and lock him up.

Didn't try to get between the other player and the scrum, protecting himself all the while, to see if it WAS a fighting situation first BEFORE lobbing bombs.

Nope.

Sucker punched him.

Remember what I said earlier:

"Now, granted, his defense of his actions rings true of anyone who is paid for their ability to hit people with his fists more than his ability to actually play the game of hockey - to whit - a scrum started and he went flying in and he hit the first guy he saw."

His defense is consistent with his role. So, given that, the question then becomes - why is he even playing hockey?

He isn't there to play the game he is there to hit other people.

So when I see that the act only produces a 3 game suspension please forgive me if I question, in totality, the integrity of the NHL.
Now. If a Wild player just so happens to slash CFP's wrist, breaking it in the process, forgive me if I don't shed any tears. Just a game of hockey ain't it?

Bush League.
------
Have a good evening everyone.

1 comment:

HBomb said...

If someone broke Pronger's wrist, even if this incident had NOT happened, I wouldn't have shed any tears.

Hell, I'd probably crack a beer and toast "F-U CFP".

Go Sharks Go...Anaheim winning the West even would be truly disgusting. The Cup? Vomit-inducing.